Current Size: 100%
We're hiring a Chief Operations Officer. To learn more about the position click here
Landlords > What is Section 8?
What is Section 8?
The Section 8 program allows private landlords to rent apartments and homes at fair market rates to qualified low income tenants, with a rental subsidy administered by Home Forward.
- “Section 8” is a common name for the Housing Choice Voucher Program, funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Home Forward administers the program throughout Multnomah County.
- Low-income residents apply through Home Forward to qualify for a rent assistance voucher.
- Approved tenants can choose any rental property in Multnomah County that meets Home Forward’s housing quality standards and has a reasonable rent compared with similar units in the market.
- Tenants negotiate a lease directly with the property owner. Tenants pay a minimum of 28.5% of their income toward the monthly rent, and Home Forward pays the remainder directly to the landlord.
- Landlords use their own lease agreement and the same screening criteria as any other applicant.
For more details about how the program operates, read Getting Started with Section 8 and our Landlord Newsletter. You can also speak with Home Forward’s Landlord Services Team at (503) 802-8333, option 5, or e-mail email@example.com.