Current Size: 100%
Learn How to Rent
The path to finding a great apartment starts with being a great tenant. Rent Well can show you how it's done.
When you rent an apartment, you are entering a business relationship with your landlord. If both of you keep up your end of the deal, it works great. But many renters don't fully understand what is expected of them. That's where the Rent Well program comes in.
Rent Well is a short class that you can take to improve your "rent-ability." In just 15 hours of classroom time, you will learn how to establish a good relationship with your landlord from the start, and how to become a stable and successful renter - skills that will last you a lifetime.
During the program, you will:
- Pre-screen yourself the same way that landlords do
- Create a personalized plan to achieve a stable housing situation
- Plan a realistic household budget that makes paying the rent a priority
- Study sample rental agreements to understand common terms and expectations
- Understand the landlord's perspective on renting out property
- Learn how to move in (and move-out) the right way
- Learn simple steps to maintaining a clean, safe, and healthy home
Once you have completed the program assignments, you will have a renter's portfolio and a graduation certificate that you can show to prospective landlords. You will also be eligible for the Rent Well Landlord Guarantee: a type of "insurance" for landlords that encourages them to do business with you.
To find a Rent Well class in our community, call (503) 222-5555 or visit housingconnections.org. Staff of non-profit organizations who wish to become certified instructors or landlords with questions about the program can call Tamara Schaffner at (503) 280-3731.