Current Size: 100%
This award-winning mixed-income apartment community resulted from an innovative public-private partnership between Home Forward and Gerding Edlen Development.
Located next to Jeld-Wen Field, The Morrison is part of a mixed-use development that was completed in 2007, replacing a 1940s building that was well past its useful life. The site also includes 261 market-rate condominiums, extensive ground-floor retail space, underground parking, and a central pedestrian plaza featuring public art created by renowned Oregon sculptor Lee Kelly.
- 140 apartments for households earning less than 60% MFI, including
- 21 two-bedroom apartments
- 74 one-bedroom apartments
- 45 studio apartments serving as Permanent Supportive Housing with case management provided by two local non-profits (30 of these units are supported by project-based Section 8 subsidy)
- Sustainability features include a prime downtown location as a transit-oriented development; LEED Gold certification; bioswale gardens and eco-roof to treat storm water; and water-efficient fixtures.
- Regional Arts and Culture Council’s “per cent for art program” assisted with coordination of public art installations at each end of Howard’s Way by Oregon sculptor Lee Kelly.
- Public-private partnership created unique opportunity for immediately adjacent mix of incomes, ranging from no income individuals at The Morrison to upper income condo owners at The Civic.
- Financial: City of Portland, Oregon Housing and Community Services
- Design and Construction: SERA Architects, Gerding Edlen, Hoffman Construction
- 45 studio apartments provide homes to residents needing Permanent Supportive Housing
- Case management provided by
- Cascade Aids Project
- NW Pilot Project